Soooo fucking hot.
what i think happened on HIMYM just then
here be spoilers.
OKAY so in short my theory is that Ted and the mother are in Farhampton because they think the mother is terminally ill. Whether or not she actually is, and whether or not she actually dies, is all up in the air.
REASONS why I think they think she’s ill:
1. In his flashback about everyone realising they don’t know when they’ll be together again, this happens
ted: and it’s funny - in a moment like that, when what’s really happening is too intense to deal with, sometimes it’s best -
mother: to leave it unspoken. and just enjoy each other’s company instead.
and ted makes this face:
2. the thing about what kind of mother misses her own daughter’s wedding etc. is a pretty big hint.
REASONS why i specifically think it’s the mother who’s ill, not say ted’s mother or ted himself or one of the gang:
3. when ted gets all teary, the mother mumbles ‘come on!’ and tries to cheer him up. the only person, generally, who’s allowed to do that, is the person who’s actually dying. imagine how insensitive it would come across if she was doing that and it turned out ted’s mom was dying or something.
And now, my two main reasons why I think the mother does not end up dead:
1. the kids are waaaay too flippant about all this if it turns out she’s dead.
2. the title of this episode is ‘Vesuvius’. In season 9 episode 2, near the end, Ted is doing a crossword and ‘being showboaty’ about it. he shouts out ‘Vesuvius!’ and then, ‘Oh wait. That doesn’t fit.’
Why else would this episode be named after a mostly dormant volcano? I feel like this is the clearest sign yet that the writers are telling us, cool your beans, your theory does not fit.
Fun fact: the etymology for ‘Vesuvius’ also traces back to the Greek word for ‘unquenchable’. Isn’t that lovely.
Lily’s right - we don’t know the next time we’ll all be together.
I want those extra 45 days.
BURN IN HELL. THIS CAN’T BE HOW IT ENDS. IT CAN’T BE!
How dare you! HOW FUCKING DARE YOU! I had a suspicion about this being the ending but FUCK. I didn’t want it to be true. WHY???!!! I’m so sad right now.
This will be us in about 40 years.
16 Days, 7 Hours, 50 Minutes, 19 seconds
Gen II starts tomorrow, March 2, 6:00 AM
source for the second image: http://kiyokon.tumblr.com/post/78194466499/we-did-it-my-hands-are-shaking